Smart People :)

Friday, April 23, 2010

Uttapam



I was/am a big fan of South Indian Dishes.. it brings back a lot of memories from school time.. in India I was a student of Kendriya Vidhyalaya.. mainly known as a military school.... they had students from all over India.. One of my really good friend for years was from South India, D. D used to bring in dosa, idli, uttapam, upma and all that good South Indian stuff in lunch everyday and I used to bring in roti-achar, roti-subzi, kadi-khichdi, all that good Gujarati stuff in lunch, so we used to trade our lunches or share our lunches in afternoon breaks... It was so much fun... I wish I was little again :( :(

I still struggle with making dosas and idli on my own but my mom is an expert on that and every summer we have 2-3 weekends booked just for South Indian food...

One thing I can make very well, Thanks to all those Gits Ready-to-make packages, is - Uttapam.

As we all know that for dosas, idli, and uttapam batter - a lot of work is required and you have to leave the batter overnight in somewhat hot room temp to get better "khameer" on it. Due to the weather in New England area and the time and work required, I always end up using Gits packages and this is the reason why our South Indian weekends are scheduled for Summer :)

Ingredients:
  1. Gits - Ready to Make - Dosai package
  2. 1 medium onion - finely chopped
  3. 1 medium tomato - finely chopped
  4. 1 medium green bell pepper - finely chopped
  5. a bunch of fresh coriander - finely chopped
  6. Water - per package instruction
  7. Salt - per taste
  8. Oil for frying
Process:
  1. Mix all the ingredients listed above, except oil.
  2. Heat dosa tava, grease it with oil
  3. Pour a small portion of the batter and spread it outwards
  4. Add in oil as needed
  5. Once one of the side is cooked, flip it and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes
  6. Serve hot with tomato-garlic chutney


NOTE: normally the vegetables are kept on top of the uttapam but I like to mix it in with the batter...
ENJOY!!!

3 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Hey,
I live in the New England Area too.What I do to ferment the batter is, preheat the oven for 4-5 minutes. Leave the batter in a deep dish with plenty of room for it to expand. If that didn't work, repeat one more time and surefire thing to get it right.
Uttapam from gits look splendid!

Thanks Trendsetters!!! Thanks for visiting my blog as well....

@CL- that's a really good idea!! I shall try it soon...

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...