Smart People :)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pani Puri; Gol-Gappe; Pakodi; Pakori

Pani-Puri - ummm.. where do I start??? This was/is/will be my most favorite street food and I can have it any and every time of the day... I can never have enough of these...

These small puris - filled with mashed potatoes and black chana with loads of chaat masala - dipped in spicy water - a few drops of sweet tamarind chutney - make sure to gulp it in one try otherwise it will break down and will be pretty messy...

Back home - the best pani-puri would be the ones serve by Bhaiyas on carts (laris).. The best one I had was Mahendar Bhaiya's Pakodi center near our house in Ahmedabad... it was/is just awesome... last weekend I spoke to my sister-in-law and she said "Oh we were just thinking about you as we were over at Mehendar's Pakodi center" - I was like "Didi jale per namak chidak rahe ho" (sister, you are making me jealous)...



I am drooling as I am writing this entry... Here goes the recipe...

Ingredients
  1. Pani-puri - about 40-50 pcs (store bought - easily available at all Indian Stores)
  2. For filling: 1 large potatoe - boiled and mashed; Black chana - soaked over night and boiled; salt; chaat masala
  3. For Pani: a bunch of fresh mint leave, coriander, 2 green chilies, chaat masala, one and a half cup cold water and salt per taste
  4. For tamarind chutney: 3 tblsp tamarind pulp; 8 deseeded dates; 1/4 cup jaggery and salt per taste


Process

Filling
  1. Mix togather mashed potatoe, boiled chana, chaat masala and salt
  2. Keep aside
Pani
  1. Grind togather mint leaves, coriander and green chilies.
  2. Add into chilled water
  3. Mix in chaat masala and salt
  4. Keep aside
Tamarind Chutney
  1. Grind togather dates, tamarind pulp and jaggery - adding a little water as necessary
  2. Mix in salt per taste
  3. Keep aside


Serving Pani-puri
  1. Poke a hole in the center of the puri
  2. Add in the potatoe filling
  3. Either dip in filled puri into pani or spoon in the pani into puri
  4. Spoon in tamarind chutney - a drop or two.
  5. Hurry - put it in your mouth or it will break apart!!!
  6. Enjoy the yummy taste of all the goodness in the world!!!
Tips: Stir the pani well before dipping in the puris or spooning it into the puris as the spices tend to settle down at the bottom...

Sending this to Mother's Day Cooking Celebration event held by Panch Pakwan...



ENJOY!!!

Reposted this recipe at http://desizayeka.blogspot.com/2012/07/ramadan-collections.html
Submitting to the following events (see further details at the link above):

Joy from Fasting to Feasting - V

Ramadan Friendly Recipes

10 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Wow pani puri...just love that

wow. lovely site...the recipes are great with mouth watering dishes!! :)
well done!!!

Spicy Indian dishes
http://spicy-indian-dishes.blogspot.com/

Hey
Are you from Ahmedabad..?which area? I'm too from amdavad..naranpura area..sola road..whenever I go to India everysingle day I have panipuri.. and dabo bharine london leti avu for my daughter..oh really missing it now..yours making my mouthwater..

Pani puri is my fav street food too..Can have it anytime :)

Pani puri is my favorite dish too. It is first dish my hubby bought when we went to mumbai.

Hi. First time here. The pani poori is such a favorite, u make me drool.
Drop by when time permits.
http://cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com

I read your about me thing:) haha phir bhi dil hain hindustani...nice one..
well you seem to be a buding bloger like me...nice to be at your blog :)

@ A2Z - Thanks!!
@ Spicy India - thanks for dropping by..
@ Jagruti - Yes I am from A'bad.. near S-G Highway. Pani puri is a must whenever I go to India...
@ Faiza - seems like we have something in common :)
@ swathi - wow, that's a real nice of your husband.. my hubby gave me a cadbury bar the first time we met :))
@ Pari - Thanks for dropping by, will be coming over to your place soon..
@ Sayali - Thanks for drapping by.. I am glad you liked my blog...

Thank you so much for sending this lovely enty for my event.

Love these anytime and u have a wonderful blog

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...