Smart People :)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Aloo Paratha


Reposting this to send it Akila's Event: Dish Name Starts with A...

Where do I even start with this yummylicious paratha that we usually eat as a weekend Breakfast item... I still remember those good old days in India when every winter mummy used to make these for breakfast and we would stuff ourselves up until we realize that all the potato filling is gone and there is just enough left for mom to eat... that's when we would stop... not that my mom couldn't make more but because that's when we would realize that we have overeaten and it is now time to stop... It was so much fun... I still miss those days and wish I could go back to my childhood days where the only thing that I was worried about was my drawings, color pencils, ground plays with my friend and being a leader of my kho-kho team... 

Anyways - back to realty.... I have maintained this custom of my mummy's very well in US. There was a time in between though where we didn't made these parathas for over 5 years... don't know why... but it's back in our household and loved by everyone of us...

Ingredients

For paratha
  1. Two cups wheat flour
  2. One cup warm water
  3. One tblsp oil
  4. Salt per taste
For filling
  1. Two medium potatoes - boiled and mashed
  2. Salt per taste
  3. Turmeric powder - about two pinch
  4. Two green chilies - chopped finely
  5. A bunch of fresh coriander - chopped finely
  6. Sugar - one tsp
  7. Lime juice - one tblsp
For tempering
  1. Two tblsp oil
  2. A pinch of mustard seeds
  3. Curry leave (optional)
Process

Dough
  1. Mix flour, salt, oil and water together to make a soft dough.
  2. Knead the dough for few minutes, grease the surface to make a smooth dough.
  3. Keep aside
Filling
  1. Mix together all the ingredients listed above in a bowl.
  2. For tempering - heat oil, add in mustard seed and curry leaves. Once the seeds splutter add it on to the potato mixture
  3. Mix well.
Paratha Making Process
  • Divide the dough and potato mixture into seven equal portions.  
  • Roll out the dough into 3 inch diameter circle, place the potato ball in the center and seal it by pulling the edges.  
  • Roll the potato mixture filled ball into a desired size of paratha.  
  • Repeat the process with the remaining dough and potato portions.
  • Heat the skillet and place a paratha on it.
  • Let it cook for about a minute and flip it.
  • Cook the one side well. Pour some oil or ghee and flip it again.
  • Lightly press the paratha with a spatula or napkin.
  • Take it out on a serving plate and serve hot.
  • Enjoy the heavenly taste with some cold sweetened yogurt.

ENJOY!!!

6 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Aloo paratha one of my favorite parathas Love the step by step instructions.My 1st visit here following your blog.Do drop by simply food sometime.

Umm, lovely paratha! Looking too good!

Bingoooooo...I make this the same way... :)
Its too yummy.

Aloo paratha looks really good. I love it.

Asalamwlikam

Aaawww I LOVE Aloo paratha my favorite parathas YUMMMMMYY... :)

My most fav paratha,looks so perfect ...this is our dinner today..:-)

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...