Sending this recipe to Show Me Your Curry! event hosted by Divya of Dil Se...
I first tried this dish in Saudi Arabia, when I went for Hajj - last year. This brings back a lot of memories that I can't express in words. This particular dish is protein rich and perfect for guest serving or main course item.
- One chicken breast - cut in small pieces
- One and a half cup chana dal - soaked over night and partially boiled
- Lal masala - One tblsp red chili powder, One tblsp dhaniya powder, a pinch of turmeric powder and one and a half tblsp of ginger-garlic paste
- Salt per taste
- Three black peppers (whole)
- Three-four cloves
- One cinnamon stick
- Half tsp of cumin seeds
- One medium onion - finely chopped
- One medium tomato paste
- Four tblsp oil.
- Water - as needed.
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add cumin seeds, black peppers, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
- Add onions.
- Let it cook till it turns light brown
- Add tomato paste.
- Let it cook till oil separates
- Add lal masala (Step 3) & salt
- Cook till oil separates and the masala is cooked
- Add chicken and chana dal.
- Add water as needed (I didn't put in a measurement for this as it actually depends on how well your dal has cooked)
- Cook till chicken and the dal has properly cooked and the gravy is at the consistency that you want.
- Serve hot with roti and salad.