Smart People :)

Monday, May 17, 2010

My Other Passion (besides food) - Mehendi

I absolutely love to paint my hands and feet with Heena/Mehendi... Back in India, there were so many places and people that we knew to get our hands painted for festivals, weddings, summer celebrations, and just for fun... You can learn more about it here...

The best mehendi that I ever got done in my life (so far) was on my wedding day.. it took six hours to paint my hands and I left it on for almost 2 days (without washing my hands) - yes, I did felt very dirty at the time but since it was my wedding I was getting a treatment of that of a Princess :). Here is the snap shot of my mehendi on wedding (sorry I am having hard time making these pics bigger - will upload once I figure it out)..


Once we came to States, it was such a disaster when it came to getting mehendi done on eid and at weddings. First, I was not good at it; and second, there wasn't that many people or places over here who would know how to do it. There were 5 eids that I celebrated without any mehendi on my hands... It was the saddest (is that even a word?!?!) part of coming to US. One day I decided when so many young girls like me know how to do it then why shouldn't I??? I tell you, it was a big challenge for me and it still is. Getting mehendi done on my hand is harder that passing the CPA (CA) exam.. You have to be very patience and very detailed... after all it will stay on your hand for atleast two weeks... I have gotten much better in past 5 years or so but then again, I don't practice it that often (as I should)... This past weekend, I didn't had much to do so I painted back of my left hand and then next day we drove to NJ to see my older brother FKhan and sis in law so did the palm of my left hand in the car... it was exciting and much fun.. Here are some clicks of my work...







Do tell me what are your other passions besides cooking and do you like getting heena done on your hands???

12 Zayekedar Views!!!:

I love to apply too..these are lovely design...

Simply lovely :) I like henna too, But I'm too poor at applyin it( i meant the designs)

Lovely mehendi!! I am a very poor artist, been ages since I got this done...

Henna design looks really perfect, however i am poor artist, i like to get my hand henna designs though.

Love to have them on my hands too.Keep up your good work!

My other passion besides cooking is traveling, reading horror stories and watching vampire movies. :)

May be I'm too old for mahendi, but my daughter is crazy about it and poor mama can't do it for her..same thing here in U.K don't have many people to do it..not a good artsist..love to travel, reading and shopping are my other passion..;0))

Count me in too, I love mehendi's. After my wedding I didn't get a chance to put one on my hands. Now I am tempted to paint my hands.. You have a beautiful space here!!

Simply beautiful.Very artistic and detailed.

Wow, that is so pretty, love the details. Love mehandi a lot, but I never tried on my own.

Thanks everyone for taking time and commenting on this post...

For those of you who think are poor artist - I was in your shoes five years ago but as they say - "nothing is impossible".. try it and you will be amazed at your artistry...

For others - thanks for taking the time to go through my blog... really appreciate it!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...