Smart People :)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Roti, Chapati, Indian Flat Bread


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY (belated) TO ALL THE BLOGGERS OUT THERE...
 
Roti - one of the MUST item in every meal served in our household... This was the very first thing that I learned in the kitchen. The forms of my rotis went from a map of India, to map of America, to a perfect shaped earth!!! I struggled with it a lot but given the fact that we consume this delicious fluffy rotis in every single meals I had no choice but to patiently learn - how to perfect my roti, how to cook it on tava and then making sure that every single one of them puffs up at the end. According to my mom, I now make a perfect roti, even better than the ones that she makes. My mom is all praises in front of other members of the household and friends, when it comes to my rotis... and guess what I just love it when she does that... I feel very accomplished and feel like a winner!!! As she is a great cook and a great teacher as well!!! I love you Mom for every thing you have taught me, every time that you have hugged me when I was down or feeling sad, for every time you have laughed and smiled with me, for every time that you have made me these fresh rotis for breakfast and making sure that I eat it before I leave for school or work... for every time you have scolded me when I did something wrong, for every time you have advised me when I was troubled, for every time you have taken me in your arms when I was sick or not feeling well... I can not imagine my world without you mom and I LOVE YOU so much!!!!

So here goes the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • Two cups wheat flour
  • Salt per taste
  • 3 tblsp oil
  • One and a half cup warm water
Process:
  • Take the flour in a bowl and make a hole in the center.
  • Add salt and 2 tblsp oil.
 
  • Mix well - add warm water slowly and mix it well.
  • Make a soft dough and knead well
  • Grease the dough with 1 tblsp oil and knead well.
  • Keep aside for about 5-10 minutes and heat the tava (frying pan)
  • Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
  • Roll out to a desired size.
  • Place the roti on hot tava.
  • When you start to see puffed circles, flip it over.
  • Let that side cook well, slightly moving it on the tava with the help of napkin.
  • Once cooked, flip it over and let the other side cook.
  • Press the roti down towards the tava, with the help of a napkin- doing this should result in puffed rotis. (Make sure not to burn it)
  • Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
  • Serve hot with your favorite curry.

ENJOY!!!

9 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Roti,

Looks really nice and soft. Nice one again.

Well explained dear. The roti looks very soft too. Happy to follow u. Do drop by my space and leave ur comments too.
Happy blogging.

Hy AZ,
Thanks for visiting 'Tasty Appetite' and for your motivating comments. You have a lovely space too with fascinating collection of recipes. Happy to follow u.

Thanks for stopping by. I simply loved the way your chappathis puffed up, I usually place the chappathis on direct flame if I want it to puff... But this is amazing :)

Roti looks really soft. Making a soft roti is an art, my mom and sister both r good at that. Loved your blog.

dreamydelights.blogspot.com

Looks soft and perfect...Will be really useful for beginners...

How come my rotis never puff up like that? been making them for almost a decade now :D

Az thanks for support against plagiarism in my blog

I never get this puffed rotis, thanks for the info' will try to refine my cooking.:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...