Smart People :)

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Aloo Gobhi (Cauliflower curry)




As a kid, I was not very fond of this veggie. Every time my mom would cook it I would try to get away eating it. Replacing the curry (sabzi) with achar (pickle) or honey or sweetened yogurt. Oh, there were many ways I could avoid eating this. However, all of this kinda changed in 2003. This was the year when my paternal grandparents came over to United States to be with us for a period of 5 months. It was the bestest time ever! My grand father is no more, but my grand mother (Dadima) is still around and quite healthy as well, alhamdolillah!

When they visited us in 2003, I was a Junior in UMass Boston. My classes were early in the morning from 8 to 12 or 8-1. I would be home by 2 at most and be with them for the rest of the day. Everyone else (except younger brother, who was in school and would be home by 2:30) were working so they would be home much later, like 5 or 6 or sometimes at 7. I would normally get home at 2, make some fresh rotis and a quick veggie and me, younger brother and my grandparents would do our lunch together.




One day I had to work on a group presentation, so I knew I was going to be late. I told Dadima that I will be late today but should be home by 3 at most. I forgot to tell my mom, otherwise she would have made sure to cook something before she leaves for work :). However, the work took longer and I couldn't get home till 4. Obviously she wasn't going to wait for me to come and cook lunch for us. So she made aloo gobhi and rotis and they had their lunch at a regular time. I go home and Dadima tells me that she made aloo gobhi - I literally frowned and told her that I hate this dish!

Dadima is very good at convincing people, she convinced me to finish at least one roti and then I can have whatever I want. I am so glad she did that 'cause it changed everything. She makes the best aloo-gobhi EVER! That was the first and last time I had aloo-gobhi made from her hand. Till this date, I have been trying to make this dish just like hers but it's no way near it. I guess I missing the ingredient called "LOVE & CARING". Maybe when I become a grandma mine would taste just like hers  :) :)

So this recipe is no way near hers but it surely is a truely delicious serving that you can have on a regular work day!!




Ingredients:
  1. One cauliflower - chopped in medium sized
  2. One medium potato - cut in cubes
  3. One medium onion - thinly sliced
  4. Red spice mixture - 1 tblsp red chili powder, 1 tblsp coriander powder, 1 tblsp ginger-garlic paste, three tsp tamarind paste, a pinch of turmeric powder, salt per taste
  5. One medium tomatoes - chopped
  6. Handful of green peas - optional
  7. Half a cup water
  8. Three tblsp cooking oil
  9. One tsp of cumin seeds
Process:
  1. Heat oil in a wok, add in cumin seeds and onions.
  2. Fry well till onion turns golden brown.
  3. Add tomatoes, and red spice mixture (#4), mix well.
  4. Fry till the oil separates.
  5. Add in cauliflower, potatoes, and green peas.
  6. Mix well, add water.
  7. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes on a medium heat.
  8. Check to see if the potatoes are cooked well before turning off the stove.
  9. Serve hot with roti or cilantro rice.


ENJOY!!!

8 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Looks delicious !! Loved the pics too :)

I love this dish when I was a child and I am still loving it. Looks yumm..Nice clicks..

super combo.. nice recipes vth cool cliks..
Iam back to blogging...Plz..visit 1ce dear...
Visit my new
face book page
http://www.facebook.com/Mahaslovelyhome?ref=hl

You have an awesome blog! I'm still a newbie in the kitchen, But your posts are Great inspiration :)

What kind of tamarind paste do you use?

Maryam / denmark

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...