I moved to US when I was 15, so I never had a luxury to get on bike when it rains and go to a local cart on the roadside and eat these bhajiyas with chai. Though, my dear hubby has been/was very lucky until about 5 years when I married him and took him away to this dreadful cold country where when it snows/rains the only thing you want to do it cuddle up under a blanket and take long long long naps… J
However, you can still make these at home and be sure that the batter is not adulterated and the potatoes are clean and fresh, unlike the roadside carts; and still enjoy it with some coffee instead of Chai.
- One big potatoes – thinly sliced in round shape
- Batter – half a cup chickpea flour, one tblsp red chili powder, one tblsp coriander powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, few drops of lemon juice, and salt per taste, and some warm water.
- Oil for deep frying
- Make a thick runny batter from all the ingredients listed under batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Dip one slice of potato in the batter, so that it is fully covered in batter, drop it in hot oil and fry till golden brown.
- Repeat this process for all potatoes.
- You can fry multiple potatoes at one time.
- Serve hot with ketchup and chai or coffee J