Smart People :)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dosa/Uttapam Cakes

My last post was on January 25th 2011. I HAD to take a break from blogging due to extensively, ridiculously, absurdly, harshly, outrageously, unreasonably (let’s see did I got all the adjectives??) amount of work and ‘other’ activities that I was involved in for past four months or so. My regular readers know that I am a CPA and work at a CPA firm in Boston, so they would know why I was gone; but hold on, there is more to it. At work, my new year’s present was new clients with tight deadlines; In terms of education, my new year’s present was taking full time classes, in order to comply with CPA licensing rules; and personally, my new year’s present was to hunt for a condo. Needless to say, I was delighted to receive such a wonderful set of presents from three different parts of my life.


Working more than full time, like 65-70 hrs. a week, (is it called overtime? No wait, we don’t get paid for it, so I don’t think it’s called overtime); taking full time classes; and searching for condos in a little time that I was able to find from my crazy schedule. At the end of it all I had no time to cook, no time to write, no time to take pictures, no time to bore you guys :( - resulting in a very unwanted break from my dearest hobby that I had developed in past few years.

Now that the busy season has ended, it is kind of slowing down a bit. Work is normal again 45-50 hrs. a week. The classes will be over soon (May 6th to be exact). The condo project – didn’t exactly come out the way we had thought. After looking at trillion places, we really liked a place which was closer to everything and fitted our needs. We went whole nine yards with the process and were three weeks away from the closing and found out that there was a major issue with the title and the title insurance company backed out on us and it didn’t seemed smart to go ahead with the deal. We ended up backing out as well and decided to rent for now. To tell you the truth, I don’t have any more strength to look for a new place. I really liked the one that we were planning to buy so everything new that I see now, I tend to compare it to the older one. Anyways, we will be moving in mid-May (am I hearing another break? – no definitely not!) I am not compromising this time.

With all this that happened with me in these few months – A LOT has happened in the world as well – good and bad. The unrest in Egypt, Earthquake and Tsumani in Japan, the upheaval in Libya, India’s world cup victory, Anna Hazare’s stand against corruption (a much needed stand I must say!). My prayers go out to all who have been affected by these nature and man-made destructions and my wishes goes to people of India for their great victory after 28 years!

So, like I said earlier, I wasn’t really cooking or rather didn’t really had time to cook, so Mom and Sis-in-law came to the rescue. I love them – they are totally understandable and know what I have been going through and never expressed their disappointment. I am making up for them now :). Mom made these really yummy masala dosas (I will post a recipe soon). We had a lot of batter left and as some of you might know, it does not last that long. I came up with this really cool idea to make dosa cakes out of the batter instead of throwing it away, as you all know, I hate to waste foods.

Ingredients:

1. Dosa batter – 2 cups – click here for recipe
2. One medium onion – finely chopped
3. One medium tomato – finely chopped
4. One small green pepper – finely chopped
5. Two small green chilies – finely chopped
6. Handful fresh coriander leaves – finely chopped
7. Cooking oil spray

Process:

1. In a medium bowl, mix together, dosa batter, chopped onions, tomatoes, green pepper, green chilies, and coriander.
2. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Heat oven at 350 degrees.
4. Spray oil in muffin tray
5. Pour the mixed batter in each muffin spots till it is half covered – don’t overfill.
6. Place the tray in the oven.
7. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
8. Insert a toothpick in each cake; if it comes out clean, it’s all done.
9. Serve warm with tomato-garlic chutney.

All of us really loved these cakes and they are so filling as well. Do give them a try!



ENJOY!!!

Reposted this recipe at http://desizayeka.blogspot.com/2012/07/ramadan-collections.html

Submitting to the following events (see further details at the link above):
Joy from Fasting to Feasting - V

Ramadan Friendly Recipes

4 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Uttapam cakes look awesome. Really enjoyed following this recipe.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

that looks so sweet... lovely cakes..

Cute idea to use the muffin tins! They look so pillowy!

hey dear welcome back...u r indeed a busy person....surely we missed u....recipe sounds gud......gud to make it for a change rather than the monotonous idlis

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...