Smart People :)

Monday, December 27, 2010

Chicken-Chole (Chickpeas) Curry...


Few days ago, I was shaken by the fact that the onion prices have gone up to ~100 Rs. Per Kilo in India. The untimely rain has ruined the crops, resulting in the inflation but the poor planning by the Government added misery to the situation. The exports were continued even after the shortage was recognized. In fact, The Times of India reported that India was importing stocks from Pakistan that it had just exported some time ago.

I can’t help but think of those poor house maids or of those families who live on a day to day wages back home. As much as it kills me, I couldn’t help but think about the way Government or the System works in India. I was very young when we came to United States and I don’t fully understand how the System works in India but I sure do understand that however the System works, it sure does not take the poor into consideration.

Had the Government done the proper planning, this unfortunate day wouldn’t have come; and even after this situation has arise; the Government should not have allowed the imports of vegetables but should have bought the stocks (whatever condition it may be in) from farmers of India. This would have helped the poor farmers as well as some unfortunate people who live on a day to day wages.

For those of you who know Indian cooking, would obviously know the importance of an onion in an Indian meal. The dish is incomplete without it. I just wish and pray that this situation gets resolved soon and more importantly the sad saga of poverty gets eliminated from this world. It will be like a dream come true for me…

Anyways, so much for my ramblings, getting back to today’s recipe. I was at a bank when I heard two Desi (South-East Asian Origin) talking right behind me. Even though I am a U.S. Citizen, I maintain my “Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani” (Still Indian at Heart) spirit 24x7. I couldn’t help myself but eavesdropping on their conversation. I know… I know… bad manners… but… anyways… so one of them mentioned that he (yes, it was a guy) just made Chicken Chole (chickpea) for the dinner and was inviting the other one (a guy as well) for dinner…

**BLING**

**BLING**

Chicken-Chole – what a nice combination!! I had to give this a try! I stopped eavesdropping and started thinking of the recipe and this is how I made it…


Ingredients:

1. Half cup chickpeas (Chole) – soaked in water overnight and boiled the next day.
2. Two Chicken breast – cleaned, cut in cubes.
3. One medium onion – grind to paste
4. One medium tomato – grind to paste
5. Half tblsp cumin seeds.
6. Two to three – whole black peppers and cloves.
7. Half inch cinnamon stick
8. Two cardamoms.
9. Red spice mix – One tblsp red chili powder, one tblsp Dhaniya powder, one tblsp Ginger-garlic paste, a pinch of Turmeric powder.
10. Salt per taste
11. One tblsp lime juice
12. Three tblsp cooking oil.
13. Half cup warm water.

Process:

1. Heat oil in a big wok.
2. Add in cumin seeds, black peppers, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom.
3. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in onion paste – cook till golden brown.
5. Add in tomato paste – cook till oil separates.
6. Add in red spice mix, salt, lime juice.
7. Cook till oil separates.
8. Add in cubed chicken and boiled chickpeas.
9. Let it cook till oil separates and chicken is fully cooked.
10. Add in warm water to get the consistency of a gravy – OPTIONAL.
11. Serve hot with roti or plain rice.


ENJOY!!!

0 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...