Smart People :)

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mini Bread Pakora with a Twist & Award

And we twist, we twist, we twist
And we twist, we twist, we twist
(Song from Love Aaj Kal)...






Well first of all, sorry for being away for a while from the blogging world... this time round I have a pretty good reason for it. Last weekend I was trying to see how well I multi-task, so I was on the phone with my mother in law, washing potatoes on one side, and frying kheema (ground goat meat) on the other. Not a good idea to do when you MIL is giving you good tips on what to do for Eid, while you are working with hot water and hot OIL... guess what, as soon as I dropped the kheema in the wok where I had oil heating up.. all the oil splashed up to my hand, burning my right hand wrist... 

I felt the hot and burning sensation throughout my hand, quickly lowered the flame and mistakenly put my hand under HOT water... Ouch!!! Now keep in mind all this while I was on the phone with MIL so I wanted to make sure that she doesn't know about it... so you can't technically scream... :). Quickly turned the water into cold and let it ran through my hand, and in two minutes or so I went back to cooking. All this time I was thinking well the oil can't be that hot, 'cause I had just turned on the stove.. but boy I was wrong. For next hour or so, I continued on working/cooking/cleaning and took a shower. After the shower my wrist was all red and burning so bad... Dear Hubby, being a Doctor he is, got super mad at me for not paying attention. I go, "it's not that bad, it will heal soon".. and he goes, "Yeah, but it's your right hand, and you won't be able to cook or work for next seven days!!!"... Uh-O... The burn is about two inches long and one and half inch wide... Now everyone who sees it, asks me what happened and I tell them the entire story, and they are like, "How can you not know that it burned that bad"... Hey I just didn't okay.. this is my first burn ever, how am I suppose to know?!?!?!?"



So, anyways, it hasn't healed yet but Hubby does the dressing twice a day so I am able to work and cook.. thank God for him being a doctor... :) (only in times like this :) )

Coming back to the recipe, I made this prior to the burning incident. It came out so good and everyone loved it. You can see my regular bread pakora recipe here

Ingredients:
  1. Two medium potatoes - peeled, cubed, and boiled.
  2. A bunch of fresh coriander leaves
  3. Two-three green chilies - finely chopped.
  4. 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
  5. One tblsp lemon juice
  6. Salt per taste
  7. For tempering - half tblsp cumin seeds, half tblsp mustard seeds, and two tblsp oil.
  8. For Batter - Half cup chickpea flour, 1/2 tblsp red chili powder, 1/2 tblsp dhaniya powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, salt per taste, half tsp lime juice and Half cup warm water.
  9. Six breads - cut diagonally in both directions making four pieces out of one bread. 
  10. Oil for deep frying
  11. Here is the twist - Yellow American Cheese Slices - Cut diagonally in both directions and horizontally from the middle - this should give you eight mini triangles from one slice. 


Process:
  1. Mash boiled potatoes, add in coriander leaves, lemon juice, green chilies, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well, add a little bit of water (only if needed).
  2. Heat oil for tempering, add in cumin and mustard seeds, let it splutter, then sprinkle over potato mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
  3. The potato mixture should look like this filing that I had previously made for Aloo Paratha.

  4. Mix all ingredients for batter - make sure there are no lumps of chickpea flour and the batter should be more towards the thicker side. Adjust water quantity as needed. Lime juice is key to this batter, what it does is when you fry the pakoras it doesn't let it absorb so much oil. 

  5. Spread some potato mixture on the one of the diagonally cut bread, place the second bread on top, place cheese slice, and press tightly. Repeat the process for rest of the breads.

  6. Heat oil for frying.
  7. Dip the potato filled breads into the batter and deep fry till golden brown. Repeat for the rest of the sandwiches.Serve hot with some tomato ketchup.





Sending this recipe over to Ramadan Friendly Recipes event hosted by The Halal Foodie and Joy from Fasting to Feasting - V event hosted by Yummy Food



I would also like to Thank R. Punitha and Asmath Nawaz for passing over this award to me. 



As per the rule says,

1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer.
5. Go to their page and tell them.
6. Remember, no tag backs!

Question tagged by Asmath,

1.What was the inspiration behind your blog? - Nothing really, just wanted to get away from the regular routine hence started this blog. 
2.Which aspect of blogging do u find more interesting? - Comments. 
3.How many hours doyou spend on blogging in a week ? - 4 Hrs. - I would like to spend more but can't... :(
4.What is the craziest thing you've ever done? - Not that adventurous to do crazy stuff, I am pretty boring and routine... 
5. What quality do you most like in yourself and why? - Helping nature. 
6. If you were given a chance to undo one thing from your life what would it be and why?? - None, I would live the exact same way. 
7.Whats ur memorable moment/fav memory since you became a blogger? - When I got my first follower Cool Lassi(e)
8.What is your idea of a perfect breakfast? - Warm aloo paratha with yogurt. 
9.What is your favourite pastime? - Bollywood Movies
10.Who is your favorite blogger? - Every single one of them... :)
11.If you had to describe yourself in 3 words.. what would they be?? - You tell me :)

Sending this award to: 


ENJOY!!!

13 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Delicious pakoras and nice clicks...gonna try this soon...congrats on ur award and wishing many more....happy to know more about u....i hope ur hands get well soon....

Thanks Asmath.. I really hope so too.. specially before eid.. glad you liked my post and thanks for sending over the award :)

Delicious bread Pakoda, congrats on your awards. Wishing many more to come.

yumm, the pakodas look yummy, thanks for sending it to my event and using the logo, it was nice to read about you, thanks for tagging me and Congratulations on your award

ouch! I hope you are feeling better now. You are blessed to have such a caring husband. Masha Allah :)

Thank you so so so much for the award. This is my first ever blog award and I'am going to flaunt this forever :D

yummy pakoras..congrats on your award and thanks for sharing with me..

Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

wow..delicious,Adding lime juice is new to me..will try that key next tym:-)
Congrats on your awards & thanx a bunch for passing those to me!!

Thank you so much for the award!! I'm so honored!
Now this looks fantastic! I think I would eat them all so fast, there would be no left overs.

i hope you are feeling better now.....
bread pakora looks soo delicious..jus love the idea of placing cheese slices in between...lovely clicks tooo
and yeah!!Congrats on your award and thanks a looot for sharing the same..
Take care
Vidya

wow, wanna grab it. yummy..

Ahh loved this recipe!! Looks so crisp & tempting!!

Thanks for the step by step procedure. Keep sharing awesome Ramadan Recipes .

Cheers!

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...