In my first post for the Year 2011, I had promised to give you all a recipe for chocolate cake. Before I go on with the recipe, I would like to tell you that this is my second cake that I have baked which came out really good! This is really motivating!! My first cake was Carrot Cake that I made for my niece's first birthday.
So, we were invited over for dinner on Christmas day by a really good friend of mine. Given that it was a long weekend and all, I had decided to clean up my room (much overdue). Less did I knew that it would take up six hours of my entire day!! We were suppose to leave around 5:30, and with all the cleaning, I didn't even realized the time till my mom yelled and said that it was 4:00 already and when was I planning to bake the cake. Well you see I still had enough time to bake it but before that I had to take a shower and we were going to a Desi Party, so I had doll myself up!! :)..
Anyways, I rushed with the shower (very unlikely of me) and started baking. I got dressed while the cake was cooling down and then when everyone was getting ready to leave, I started decorating the cake. By the time we left it was 6:15 or so... Well Indian Time IS Standard Time anyways :)
I told my dear Hubby to take some pictures so that I can post it on the blog and he did so from his phone, as a result not so great picture in quality.
- One and a half cup all purpose flour
- Two cups sugar
- Six tblsp Hershey's Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- Two eggs
- One cup milk
- Two tblsp oil
- One tsp vanilla extract
- One tblsp baking soda
- Half tblsp baking powder
- Salt - half tsp
- Butter and flour for greasing the pan.
- 16 oz Cool Whip
- Sugar - half cup or per taste (Cool Whip may be sweet enough for you)
- Shredded chocolate
- Cherries for decoration.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a big bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, and salt
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and sugar.
- Mix well till sugar dissolves.
- Combine the liquid mixture to the flour mixer in #1.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Mix well.
- Grease the baking pan with flour and butter.
- Pour the mixture in the pan.
- Bake for about 45 mins. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean then its done.
- Let it cool completely.
- Mix together cool whip and sugar.
- Spread it evenly on the cake with a spatula.
- Decorate with shaved chocolate and cherries.
PS: Recently we have had a BIG SNOW STORM and my younger brother JK ended up taking some really nice pictures. I thought of sharing it with you all!! The snow was mesmerizing when it was falling but after that it was a nightmare and unfortunately it still is.