Smart People :)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chicken Biryani



The time is running by so fast... I can't believe we are already in the second last month of the Year 2010. A lot is left to be done before the year ends... I still have so many incomplete resolutions which I am sure will become my 2011's resolutions :)... One of the things that I had in my list was to learn how to make a perfect chicken biryani... this dish is famous and a must in all South-East Asian Muslim gatherings that we have... be it a birthday party, a wedding, an aqiqah, an eid party, or just a simple gathering of families and friends. A lot of Pakistani Aunties that I know of make an awesome chicken biryani!! However, us Indians (ones that I know of) lacks that taste for some reason... I don't know what it is but I am never able to make chicken biryani like my Pakistani Aunties :)... But 'Never say Never'... I am sure one day I will learn.. but here is my Indian version of Chicken Biryani that I made last weekend and came out so good. How do I know this? Well, my dear Hubby was silent and so indulged in eating the entire time. When something like this happens, you know that the dish is good! So what does he do when the dish is not so good... criticize BIG time!!

Ingredients:
  1. Two chicken breast - washed, cleaned, cut in cubes
  2. Masala for marination - One tblsp red chili powder, one tblsp dhaniya powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, one tblsp of ginger-garlic paste, salt to taste, and one tblsp of lime juice.
  3. Two medium onions - grind to paste
  4. Two medium tomatoes - grind to paste
  5. Half tsp cumin seeds
  6. Three cloves
  7. Three cardamoms
  8. 4-5 Whole black peppers
  9. Half inch cinnamon stick
  10. Red Masala - One and a half tblsp red chili powder, one tblsp dhaniya powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, one tblsp of ginger-garlic paste, salt to taste, and one tblsp of lime juice.
  11. Four tblsp cooking oil
  12. Three cups basmati rice - washed three times with warm water
  13. 2-3 bay leaves
  14. Three cups of water to boil the rice.


Process:

  1. Mix well chicken and masala for marination (item #2). Marinate for at least half an hour.
  2. While you prepare the chicken masala for the biryani, heat three cups of water in a large wok, add rice, bay leaves, and salt per taste. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes on high heat or till the rice is 90% cooked. Drain all the water from the rice.
  3. Heat oil in a wok, add in cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, and black pepper.
  4. Add in onion paste and cook till golden brown.
  5. Add in tomato paste and cook till oil separates.
  6. Add in red masala (item #10), and cook till oil separates.
  7. Add in marinated chicken, and cook till chicken is fully cooked and oil separates out.
  8. In the same wok (used in step #2), heat oil, place a layer of boiled rice, then a layer of chicken masala curry, then a layer of boiled rice again.
  9. Sprinkle three tblsp of water.
  10. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes on a medium to low heat.
  11. Serve hot with fruit salad and cold raita (recipe coming soon).

NOTE: I also boiled some eggs and placed it in the biryani when I served it. This is optional but I did it 'cause my dear hubby loves EGGS!!

ENJOY!!!

6 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Loved the look of the chicken biriyani. Great combination of raita.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Hi
Came across your blog first time.lovely blog.would love to follow you.

Chicken biriyani is my all time fav...This looks so tempting..Yum!!

Droolworthy chicken biryani, makes me hungry..

Yummy chicken biryani...Nice pics. I have been wanting to make it for so many days but with Eid round the corner, I think the wait is not too long for me.

all time fav!!! can dig in anytime..yummyyyy

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...